Sunday, March 14, 2010

Welp we're really doing it Harry! Me and Will got into San Jose last Sunday night. I had a 4 hour delay in Orlando, which felt like forever because I was so excited to get here. Navagating through the airport was a little tricky but luckily most signs were in spanish and english. To get to my home stay I was told to just meet this person outside of the baggage claim who would have my name on a sign. No problem right? Well turns out alot of people have the same idea, a few hundred actually. After a few minutes of looking with out success I got a little nervous, but thankfully the random guy came up to me and asked where i was trying to go. He knew the place and helped me find my driver, for a small tip of course.
I rolled in around 8 and met Willam our house. We live with a lady and her husband. Neither of which speak english. It makes for some awkward times, but in the long run I think it will be great because it forces us to attempt some spanish. Our house is pretty small, "quaint" I'd say. A couple bed rooms, kitchen dinning room, and a small backyard. Nothing amazing but nice none the least. Surprisingly though, we do have so wifi, wooo.
The city of San Jose is pretty big, 2-3 million maybe. Not the cleanest place by any means, but still really cool just because the culture is really laid back, and everything is new to me.
Tuesday we went to Caprio, the town we're workin in. There's no real way to describe this place. It's pretty much the worst area to live I've ever seen. Houses scapped together with tree branches, walls made of corrugated tin, sewage running through the streets. We're building an extension on to this church/school so that the pastor can open up a soup kitchen for the people in the area. He already does it once a week, but this will let him feed more people, more times a week.
There is a ton of more things to tell stay tuned for more. I'll put up some facebook pictures soon.

1 comment:

  1. yayyyy no english! post sweet pics here too gooberbeans. te amo!

    ReplyDelete